Friday, August 26, 2011

Firsts

Well I guess it will be the week of firsts. Fist update. First week of school. First own room. First film. First time I've watched the film. First Clue.

I drove to New Ulm, MN on Thursday, August 18. I stayed with my friend Bonnie for the night in Waukesha, WI where I got to catch up with her over a bottle of wine. I arrived on campus around 6:00pm Friday and began the unpacking process. I unloaded everything, except my TV which I am still waiting for my big strong guy friends to come get, and then loaded my car up with stuff from my storage unit. Then came the organizing process. It was pretty easy because I have so much room! Not the usual words from a college student living in the dorms, but because I have a single this semester I can spread out everywhere. I realized that this is also the first time I have ever technically had my room all to myself, where it is ONLY my stuff in the room. It is weird. Later today my guy friends will be de-bunking my bed to make it into a couch, and bring up my TV so I can put the final touches on the room. Pictures to come...

School. Well I have 21.5 credits this semester. I have American Minority Writers (3), Doctrine 2 (3), Film and Mass Media (3), Teaching Music (2), Teaching Reading (4), Teaching Language Arts (2), Children's Literature (2), Organ (0.5), and Piano (0.5). I have class from 8:50-3:40 everyday, with a break after chapel and right before my last class. The number next to the class corresponds with how many times I have the class a week. Tuesday is the only day I don't have class. This is when I do my clinical experience. For those of you doing the math, this is where the last 0.5 credit comes in. This is my second clinical. Last year I was at Morgan Cedar Mountain Middle and High School, grades 6-12 special education, English and Math. I will find out this coming Tuesday where I will be teaching every Tuesday all day for the rest of the semester. Not much to report on the classes yet, the first week they try to be nice. However, my first movie has to do with one of my classes...

For Film and Mass Media we had to watch Modern Times. This is not only a Charlie Chaplin movie, but a "silent" film during the time of the first talkies, where we hear Chaplin's voice for the first time. My little knowledge on Chaplin seemed to be adequate enough in the discussion on his life, of course my brother dressing up as him for Halloween one year did help. This was my first Chaplin movie, and I have to say I know why everyone thinks he is so funny, and the reason he is so popular. Even though technically this is the first time the public ever hears his voice through film, he still makes sure he gets his point across that he can still entertain without words. His speaking role is of him singing, and in a language that is a mix of French, Italian and goodness knows what else. His actions still told the story, the singing was there only because it was "time" for him to speak. This was Chaplin's final silent film, after this he only did talkies.

Another exciting piece of news for my week is that I got a job! I am the new waitress/bartender at Concordia Lanes Kegel Klub. I begin work this coming week. I start as a waitress for the bowling alley and soon will be a bartender. Many of my friends work/have worked here, and this is the plan place we go on the weekends. It also happens to be the best place in town for a college students' income. I will get minimum wage plus cash tips. Since this is the most active bar and only bowling alley and banquet hall in New Ulm, it attracts most of the town, equaling more tips. So cross your fingers and send out your prayers as I begin this new position along with my very busy schedule.

Most of my friends are student teaching this semester, so distractions will be down compared to last year. Second semester I only have 17 credits plus less high profile courses. So when all my friends do come back for their final semester I will have room for a little distraction.

It is very warm here, and I am trying not to complain to much because I know within a month it will all be snow. I was informed that the next two years is predicated to be the worst winters in the history books. Isn't it just fabulous that I have two winters left here.

All it takes is the first step.

Your first clue for the Top Ten Movies:
It's a book

No comments:

Post a Comment